The Girls

The Girls

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Free Range Chickens

We've hit the big time.  The girls are full blown, free ranging chickens.  Travis basically gave me two options.  Leave the chickens in the coop and let them get sprayed with toxic cedar wood stain or let them out.  My head was on a swivel the whole time the girls were out.


They do not just stay in one spot and peck at the ground as these photos would indicate.  Oh no, they catch a bug or a worm, or find petrified poop and FLY across the yard about 20 feet to ensure no one will steal their find.  I was sure one of them was going over the barb wire fence and I was going to have to chase them like a crazy woman. 

Bottoms up, Bottoms up!
Once the girls are out, they do not want to go back to the coop.  You should have heard me squeal once they went outside the "safe zone" which is behind the garden and around the coop.  Outside the safe zone lies rabid dogs, hawks, snakes and other varmints! Me: "LADIES!! Get BACK in the safe zone or go back to your coop!!!  Travis help me!  Please!"  Travis:  "Babe, they are ok. I promise."  No I was not overreacting.  See that house with the fence in the background?  That is where Gracie, the chocolate lab chicken killer, lives.  She always has one eye on my chickens looking for the perfect opportunity to catch a quick snack.  You think she can't jump that fence?  HA! 



Hmmm...food? Escape route? Outside the safe zone.
I wish I could have taken a picture of the round up.  I chase them around and around and around the coop until they finally follow one another inside.  They were worn out after a few hours of free ranging and being chased by their crazy mother hen. 

Nap time

No comments:

Post a Comment