The Girls

The Girls

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Spoiled chicken

No, the chickens have not "spoiled"... yet.  I am always trying to come up with ways to keep my chickens cool and happy.  Travis says they are like small, little down pillows walking around outside in 103 degree heat.  I feel bad for them with all those feathers, so I've spoiled them today...

Cold cottage cheese and tomatoes
The girls are 18 weeks old and we are still on the count down for eggs.  They should start laying within the next 4 weeks, unless I have stubborn chickens. (Highly likely considering the attitude of their mother.) I've learned that chickens eat just about anything (even chicken! morbid I know), but they have special food to make sure they develop into good egg layers.   They first started out on medicated chicken feed.  It's medicated to make sure they don't get gross chicken diseases. 


Medicated Chick Starter




Big Girl Food
After abut 21 weeks of baby food and these chicks start laying, they begin to eat feed that has more calcium so their eggs don't pop out with the texture of soft, bouncy balls. 

As you can see, LittleFoot is a celebrity.  We have yet to see any of the proceeds from the use of her photo on this bag of chicken feed.  Hmmm...





The backyard chicken craze has allowed one family to rake in millions by developing these chicken treats.  While at the store one day a little girl asked her daddy if they could buy the chickens some "treats."  After explaining that they don't sell chicken treats, they created "Happy Hen Treats" which are just dried meal worms.   I wish I would have thought of it.   I bought some for the girls today. They loved pecking around for these nasty looking worms. 





If and when get fresh eggs I will keep them in a skelter.  If you don't wash the eggs after you collect them, they will last on the counter for about 6 weeks.  The egg skelter keeps them in order by freshness.  Again, an invention I missed the boat on and am out millions.  If you choose to wash the eggs (because they might be covered in poop), you have to keep them in the fridge.  The eggs come out with a coating that protects it and allows it to be left at room temperature.   I'm  not sure what the coating is called, but I like to call it the chicken butt coating.

Egg Skelter


No comments:

Post a Comment